Academic Advising

Advising for First-Year Students and Sophomores

Upon entering the college, each new student is assigned a general education advisor. This relationship continues until the student declares a major, which typically occurs during the student’s second year of enrollment. Before students register for classes, they plan their class schedule and academic program with the assistance of their advisors.  After the student and advisor confer, the advisor will release the advising hold, allowing the student to register.

Beyond registration, advisors are available as resources throughout the year to offer curricular or non-curricular guidance. To benefit from advisors’ ability to support students with sound, helpful counsel in the critical first two years of college, first-year students and sophomores should contact their advisors with questions about their academic plans or progress or for referral to other campus resources. Individualized success plans may be put in place to encourage students on academic probation to avail themselves of advising and academic success services.

Advising for Juniors and Seniors

By March 1 of the sophomore year, students are expected to specify the academic program in which they intend to major. They do this by completing the major declaration form which is available in myWofford.  As part of the declaration process, the student will meet with the department chair or program coordinator of their intended major.  A faculty member within the department will be assigned as the student’s advisor for the junior and senior years. During that time, students should consult their advisors on all matters concerning their academic progress and plans: majors, graduate school, professional preparation, and related work.  Major advisors can also refer students to resources important to their academic progress and plans.  As are first- and second-year students, juniors and seniors are required to meet with their advisor to review their class schedule and secure the release of their advising hold prior to registration.

Advising for Transfer Students

Students who transfer to Wofford from another institution will initially be assigned an advisor from the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar's Office will apply the accepted transfer credit to the student's Wofford transcript and advise the student about coursework appropriate for the first semester of enrollment at Wofford.  The Registrar's Office will register transfer students for their first semester of classes.  The students will register themselves for subsequent semesters after meeting with their advisor to review their plans and release their advising hold.  After the student formally declares a major, a faculty advisor in that major department will advise the student for the remainder of their academic career at Wofford.

Pre-Professional Advising

Designated members of the faculty advise students in certain programs of study that integrate majors and/or courses from different disciplines of study (e.g. professional schools in medicine, dentistry, nursing, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, Christian ministry, engineering, law, and education).  Advisors and students in these programs collaborate to outline plans of study that complete the degree requirements of the college, are appropriate to the students’ interests, and fulfill the requirements necessary to apply to the professional schools and programs of their choosing. 

Study Abroad Advising

The Office of International Programs provides advisement for students planning to participate in one of Wofford's study abroad programs, reviewing the various options and courses available through Wofford's many study abroad partners.  Students should speak with an advisor in the Office of International Programs early in their academic career to best plan for their global learning experience.  

Tutoring Services

The Director of Peer Tutoring organizes upper-level students to serve as tutors for fellow students who may need help with their studies. Peer-tutors are selected by the faculty and paid by the college. Students interested in receiving learning assistance can access information about peer tutoring in myWofford, or they can contact .