Interim is the annual four-week term between Fall and Spring semesters. In Interim, faculty members offer projects on topics not included in the regular curriculum and/or projects using novel approaches and experiences. Each student engages full time for the four weeks on a single project offered by a faculty member OR one proposed by the student and approved by the faculty-student Interim Committee. The list of project topics, which changes yearly, is available through myWofford early in the fall semester. Regulations for the Interim and for the submission/approval of student proposed projects also may be obtained from the Interim Committee or the Interim Coordinator.
Each student must complete and pass four projects, one for each academic year or equivalent at Wofford. Only one Interim project may be undertaken at a time. Failing a project will require the student to complete and pass a project in a subsequent Interim term or in the summer. Credit hours earned in Interim projects may be applied only toward the Interim requirement. They cannot be used to to satisfy any portion of General Education, requirements for majors, minors or other programs.
Exceptions to the four Interim rule are provided for very specific situations.
- Students who complete all degree requirements, including earning 124 credit hours, in three academic years are eligible to have one Interim waived.
- Students declared in the Teacher Education program are required to take EDUC 430 as their senior Interim project. This course will apply to the Interim requirement as well as the teacher education requirements.
- Satisfactory completion of an approved study abroad program will stand in lieu of an Interim project only when the calendar of that study abroad program precludes the student’s participation in Interim. However, no Interim credit hours are awarded. Satisfactory completion is defined as earning a minimum of 12 credit hours with a term GPA of 2.00.
- Students that transfer to Wofford after beginning their academic careers elsewhere will need to complete one Interim for every academic year while enrolled at Wofford. For example, a student that transfers during the Spring of their freshman year will need to complete three Interims if they graduate on-time during the Spring of their senior year. A student that does not finish on –time and delays graduation until that following Fall, will need to complete an additional Interim as the student has completed another full year of enrollment.
- Students suffering from a medical condition or other extenuating circumstance that may preclude them from completing an Interim, need to request relief of the Interim requirement for that particular year. Each case is reviewed individually by the Coordinator of the Interim and the Registrar, in consultation with other faculty and staff as needed. Approved waivers will be noted in DegreeWorks and with an exception adjusting the number of hours necessary to fulfill the Interim requirement.